The Compass Rose Race is a night time event to encourage yachtsmen to do some night mileage under the light of a full moon. The course will include both a Simon’s Town and Gordon’s Bay start and will involve the rounding of 4 marks placed in False Bay. The distance for each competitor will be around 50NM.
Entry is open to yachts from all clubs.
- DATE and TIME:
- The Compass Rose will be held within False Bay on Saturday 2nd December 2017.
- The Start Time will be at 17h00 and the Start Lines will be positioned offshore in Simon’s Town and Gordon’s Bay.
- The cut off time for crossing the finish line will be 12h00 on Sunday 3rd December 2017.
- The prize giving will take place at False Bay Yacht Club the following Friday 8th December 2017 at 19h00
- The Skippers Briefing will take place at False Bay Yacht Club on Friday 1st December 2017 at 18h00
- ORGANISING AUTHORITY & RULES:
- The organizing Authority shall be the False Bay Yacht Club, under the auspices of South African Sailing (Western Cape).
- The race will be sailed in terms of the World Sailing Racing Rules of Sailing 2017 – 2020 (RRS), South African Sailing Safety Checklist for Pleasure Vessels Category C.
- This Notice of Race shall form part of the rules of the event.
- Sailing Instructions will be available at False Bay Yacht Club and Gordon’s Bay Yacht Club from 17h00 on Friday 1st December 2017.
- RACE OFFICE:
- Entries can be done at the Race Office in both Gordon’s Bay and False Bay Yacht Clubs
- The Race Office for the event will be the Bridge, False Bay Yacht Club.
- FBYC boats shall start at the appropriate start line, offshore in Simon’s Town and proceed around marks in False Bay, finishing in Simon’s Town.
- GBYC boats shall start at the appropriate start line, offshore in Gordon’s Bay and proceed around marks in False Bay, Finishing in Gordon’s Bay.
- The owner and skipper of each yacht entered shall be members in good standing of a yacht club affiliated to SA Sailing
- Each yacht shall be under the command of a skipper holding a SA Sailing Day Skipper Certificate of Competence or equivalent proof of competence acceptable to the Race Committee.
- Each yacht shall carry a minimum crew of two, including the skipper, throughout the race.
- The Official Crew List must be completed, signed and presented to the Race Officer by 19h00 on Friday the 1st December 2017.
- Failure to comply with the above will result in a competitor being prevented from starting.
- SAFETY :
- All competing yachts are to be in possession of a valid SAS Certificate of Fitness Category C
- It shall be a minimum requirement that conventional chart SAN 1016 FALSE BAY be carried aboard each competing yacht.
- The skipper shall be responsible for ensuring that the yacht is sound in all respects.
- At the request of the Race Committee, inspection of any yacht may be carried out at any time within 24 hours before the start of the race. The skipper and a specifically appointed crewmember must make themselves available and be present during the inspection of the yacht.
- All vessels are required to carry VHF “base set” radios (new SAMSA requirement for Cat C COF).
- SAILING INSTRUCTIONS:
Sailing Instructions will be published on the FBYC website no later than 17h00 on Wednesday 29th November 2017 and thereafter copies will be available from the Sailing Office at FBYC. Contact details below.
- SCORING SYSTEM:
- The race shall run with one division using the PHRF Handicap System.
- A Time Correction Factor taken from the PHRF Handicap System as used by FBYC / RCYC will be applied by the Race Committee for each yacht.
- Each yacht’s finish time will be calculated from its Time Correction Factor.
Notwithstanding any other rule, The Race Committee reserves the right to require the removal from display of any advertising which, in its opinion, is not in good taste.
- ENTRY FORMS:
A completed Entry Form and Crew List shall be submitted to the Race Officer by 19h00 on Friday the 1st December 2017
- ACCEPTANCE OF ENTRIES:
In terms of RRS 76.1, The Race Committee reserves the right to reject or rescind the entry of any yacht not considered to be acceptable in terms of safety, general performance and / or crew competence.
Competitors sail entirely at their own risk. The onus on whether to start the race and to continue to race lies entirely with the skipper. None of the persons or organizations concerned with the running of the race accepts any liability for damage or injury, material or personal, incurred during the race or at any other time, however arising.
- CANCELLATION / ABANDONMENT:
- A boat that retires from the race shall notify DOLPHYN Bridge on Channel 71 or the Race Officer Linsay Oberholzer on 082 675 7856 or 021 786 1703 as soon as is reasonably possible.
- At the discretion of the Race Committee the race may be cancelled or abandoned.
False Bay Yacht Club
Tel: (021) 786 1703
Fax: (021) 786 3925